Millard Family Chapels, Inc. has been serving the Columbia, Jefferson City, Holts Summit, Eldon, Linn, Westphalia, Chamois, Moberly, and Russellville communities for many years. We’re thankful to be an important part of these communities and will continue our longstanding legacy of helping families honor their loved ones.
Our History at Millard Family Chapels
At Millard Family Chapels, we are Proud of our Heritage. One of our locations has been serving families continuously for over 100 years. As a family owned business we believe it’s important to be involved in the communities we serve. That’s why we sponsor children, young adult and senior events throughout the year. In addition you’ll see our staff at local church, charity and civic functions. It’s great to be a part of the communities we serve and it’s even more rewarding for all the lifetime friendships we have made along the way, while enjoying the lighter side of life with families just like yours.
Our History at Parker-Millard Funeral Service and Crematory
Moss P. Parker established Parker Furniture and Undertaking Company in downtown Columbia in the spring of 1886. After a fire in the late 1800's the funeral home was relocated to the 2nd floor of the furniture store on north 10th Street.
Tom McHarg, Sr. purchased the funeral business, and the McLaughlin family from Sedalia purchased the furniture business in the early 1900's. The name of the funeral home was changed to Parker Funeral Service and the new chapel that is still in use was build next to the furniture store.
D.A. Robinett became a partner in the funeral home and remained for many years. In the 1930's Tom McHarg, Jr., Charles Zaring and Virginia Green purchased the business and in the early 1950's purchased the building to the north, which was the former McKay Chevrolet. They operated Parker Funeral Service for over 40 years.
After the death of Charlie Zaring in 1979, Sam M. Rice purchased the funeral home and operated the business with his wife Shirley and son Bruce. A crematory was constructed in 1981, and the buildings were completely remodeled. The name was changed to Parker Funeral Service & Crematory. Sam and Shirley Rice retired in 1998. Their son, the late Bruce B. Rice, a 4th generation funeral director-embalmer, worked and eventually owned Parker's for nearly 40 years.
Reid Millard purchased Parker's in May of 2015, adding another funeral home to his well established family of family of service. With the help of our fantastic staff members, we continue to maintain serving families with the same high standard of service which has been passed down through the generations, offering dignified professional funeral arrangements, cremation services, headstones, monuments and pre-arranged funeral plans.